Tuesday, October 19, 2010

When No One Recognizes You Anymore

While I thought of nothing more enjoyable than staying in Europe for the holidays, my parents would ask that I make the pilgrimage to Chicago for the Thanksgiving holidays.  There is nothing more challenging than to escape ones family traditions. 

While I enjoy traveling on business, I dread the thought of all the items required for two children under 3 yrs of age.  There is the stroller, the car seats, diaper bags, various gifts carried by hand, and luggage for a family of four.   Let's not forget, I have to bring my laptop as I could not be disconnected from my office for more than a week. 

The first thing the family sees when you arrive is your attire.  Your coat is different, the kids have the funny hats with tassels and long strings, and I'm wearing shoes with squared toes.   My wife has a copy of a German fashion magazine and I have a copy of International Herald Tribune under my arm.  

On the drive from the airport, we talk about jobs, politicians, and travel.  I mention the development of the EU as a governing body for currency and monitory policy.   Family member had no idea what I was talking about.

During one of the dinners that week, I had mentioned a conflict that occurred between Chancellor Schroeder and US President George Bush on climate policy and I questioned why the USA would not join the Kyoto Accord or the ICBL- International Campaign to Ban Landmines.  No one at the table had an answer and no one really was aware that the US was objecting.   It never seemed to make the local news in Chicago. 

At one point, I recognized that I was seeing the world as a European and the Americas (at my table and elsewhere) were opponents in a great debate on social equality, world peace and environmental protection.   It was likely too deep a conversation for such an informal event as Thanksgiving, but I had expected to arrive home to see an family more informed.   Alas, they were not.  

From that point forward, I made the decision read up on sporting events and US news prior to each family visit.  Your family sees you for who you were, not for necessarily for what you've become overseas. 

Anyone else have similar stories?

No comments: